Eretria is a coastal town in Evia and the “gateway” of the island, as it can be reached by ferry from Oropos, Attica. Built in the place of the glorious ancient city-state, Eretria was a dominant maritime, commercial and agricultural power which established colonies in the Aegean region and in Southern Italy. It was destroyed twice by Persians and Romans, while later was abandoned until 1827, when refugees settled here from island Psara (the city’s previous name was Nea Psara.
– Its impressive theater (5th century B.C).
– The temples of Dafniforos Apollo, Dionysus, Dimitra and Isida.
– The “mosaic house” with mosaic floors dating back to 4th century B.C.
– The ancient vault and the Macedonian tomb (2nd century A.C.).
– Ditiki Pili or West Gate, which was the central gate of ancient Eretria
– The Archeological Museum with important findings from Eretria.
– The tower with the statues on the beach that has the characteristic inscription of “Amarinthias Artemidos” and belongs to Kanari family.
– The Museum of Modern Art of Peace and Chalkidismos. It includes paintings of Greek painter Vassilis Chalkidiotis (doctor, hematologist and professor at the Medical School of Modena University) and others.
– The neoclassical mansion (1847) of Kanari family. Konstantinos Kanaris, the captain of fire ships from island Psara, lived in Eretria from 1847 until 1864.
– The Pezonisi or Nisi ton Oneiron (Island of Dreams) covered with pine forests, which is connected to Eretria by a bridge.
– Swimming on the seaside of the settlement and the beaches W to Malakonta and E to Magoula and Amarintho
– Water sports