Kimolos was called “Argentiera” by the Venetians, and takes its name from the Greek word Kimolia, which means chalk. Both names recall the white rocks of the Island. And in effect, a white/silver quality of perlite is still being extracted today, along with cimolite, chalk.
The “Chorio”, Kimolos town, less than 1 km. from the port, offers a full dive into the past: paved narrow streets, abandoned houses being now recovered, typical Cycladic stone- built houses, and, generally speaking, a sense of bygone days, when the island was certainly enjoying better local economic conditions. Now, little by little, old buildings are being restored, and new one are showing, both for the improved conditions and for tourism. Roads are sufficiently wide and paved to visit the most important beaches and zones. The island if full of churches, dating back to the 16th century, and we mention Panagia Odigitria (1592), Agios Ioannis Chrisostomos, Metamorfosi Sotiros, Panagia Ikonomou, etc.
Lastly……the tourist planning a vacation to Kimolos is a peace lover, a philosopher, an observer, fond of simple but tasty local cuisine, flying away from traffic and modernity.