The small town of Paleros or Zaverda, as it was called in the past, is situated on the north-west coast of Akarnania (Aetolia-Acarnania), 100 km northwest of Mesolongi. Paleros is a place of tourist interest that harmoniously combines traditional elements with modern facilities and amenities. During summer time everyone is gathered in the traditional tavernas, cafes, bars in the central square.The hotel units located here attract thousands of visitors every year. Paleros offers to the visitors clean sea and picturesque mountains, beautiful sunsets, relaxation and serenity…
– Castle Kehropoula
– The archaeological site of Sterna which is situated on the peak of the mountain over the old Plagia.
– Slope’s Kastelia, which were probably part of Sterna’s fortification.
– Castle of Grivas in Peratia.
– Slope’s Venetian Castle, named St. George, built at the end of the 17th century and been declared listed since 1998. The hill, where the castle is built, is believed by archaeologist Dorpfeld to be the classical Nirikos which is mentioned in the Homer’s epic poem the Odyssey.
– Griva’s Manor in Peratia.
– Raggou Manor in Paleros.
– Paliohori Pogonia and the old village of Plagias. In the area there are some caves that are unexplored.
– Holy Monastery of Saint Demetrios in Paleros, which was built around the 16th century.
– Monastery Panagia Romvi
How to get to Paleros
The airport of Aktion is located 28 km from the town .
The distance of Paleros from Athens is 380 km via Patra and Rion-Antirion Bridge.
From Thessaloniki you will need to drive 500 km through Ioannina.
– Athens 360 km
– Lefkada 28 km
– Vonitsa 16 km
– Preveza- Aktion 26 km
– Igoumenitsa 130 km
– Parga 80 km
– Delfi 261 km
– Thessaloniki 500 km