Welcome to Corinthia
Corinthia is one of the regional units of Greece. It is part of the region of Peloponnese. It is situated around the city of Corinth, in the north-eastern part of the Peloponnese peninsula. It provides the first glimpses of the beauty, history, excitement and interest that can be found here in the Peloponnese. The capital of Corinthia is Corinth city. The location of the town, close to Athens, has pervaded its development since antiquity. It was the second naval force of the ancient world. Ancient Sicyon was the birthplace of Lyssipos, one of the greatest Greek sculptors, sculptor of Alexander the Great.
The mild climate that prevails in the area and the natural surrounding mean that both are considered privileged resorts.
The visitors who arrive here all year round can enjoy not only the clear sea but the cosmopolitan life, the unique therapeutic water springs of Loutraki and the casino as well.
Walk to the spot where Theseus met Sinis in Agioi Theodoroi.
Taste the Agiorgitiko wine growing in the vineyards of Nemean land.
See video “Corinthia Greece – Коринфиа Греции”
The northern areas and the eastern coast of Corinthia are made up of pasture lands and farmlands where olives, grapes, tomatoes and vegetables are cultivated. The rest of Corinthia is dominated by mountains. Its tallest mountain is Killini to its west and the largest lake is Lake Stymphalia situated in the southwest. Corinthia is also known for the two ancient Panhellenic games, Nemea and Isthmia. Killini was the birthplace of Hermes. Sink into the healing waters of Loutraki and take a long walk around Stymphalia Lake where Hercules achieved his sixth Labor.
Approximately 5km away from the town is the Corinth Canal. Originally intended as a shipping route, cutting the time of reaching the port of Piraeus in Athens by several days, it is today more of a landmark. Today’s modern vesseles are too wide for the canal, though small vesseles and cruise ships still use the canal.
The canal is 3.9 miles (6.3 km) long and has a water depth of 26 feet (8 m). Its width varies from a minimum of 69 feet (21 m) at the bottom to 82 feet (25 m) maximum at the water’s surface.
Before it was built, ships sailing between the Aegean and Adriatic had to circumnavigate the Peloponnese adding about 185 nautical miles to their journey. The first to decide to dig the Corinth Canal was Periander, the tyrant of Corinth (602 BCE). Such a giant project was above the technical capabilities of ancient times so Periander carried out another great project, the diolkσs, a stone road, on which the ships were transferred on wheeled platforms from one sea to the other. Dimitrios Poliorkitis, king of Macedon (c. 300 BCE), was the second who tried, but his engineers insisted that if the seas where connected, the more northerly Adriatic, mistakenly thought to be higher, would flood the more southern Aegean. At the time, it was also thought that Poseidon, god of the sea, opposed joining the Aegean and the Adriatic. The same fear also stopped Julius Caesar and emperors Hadrian and Caligula. The most serious try was that of Emperor Nero (67 CE). He had 6,000 slaves for the job. He started the work himself, digging with a golden hoe, while music was played. However, he was killed before the work could be completed.
In the modern era, the first who thought seriously to carry out the project was Capodistrias (c. 1830), first governor of Greece after the liberation from the Ottoman Turks. But the budget, estimated at 40 million French francs, was too much for the Greek state. Finally, in 1869, the Parliament authorized the Government to grant a private company (Austrian General Etiene Tyrr) the privilege to construct the Canal of Corinth. Work began on Mar 29, 1882, but Tyrr’s capital of 30 million francs proved to be insufficient. The work was restarted in 1890, by a new Greek company (Andreas Syggros), with a capital of 5 million francs. The job was finally completed and regular use of the Canal started on Oct 28, 1893.
The Corinth Canal is still in use today, though many newer and larger ships are too large to pass through any more. However, the canal is still used by many smaller ships, and there are also cruises organized where you can travel on a boat along the canal.
Ancient Corinth is one of the most visited ancient sites in the region. Located at the foot of the huge rock of Acrocorinth which towers at 500m above Ancient Corinth, you will find an abundance of ancient sites and ruins. The past glory of the city, which thrived from the 5th century BC to the 3rd AD are there for all to see and admire.
One of the highlights of the ancient site is the Temple of Apollo, which has seven of its original 38 Doric columns intact. The temple, dating from the 6th century BC is truly a sight to behold.
Other ruins include the site of the Agora, the foundations of the huge Stoa and the ancient theatres. There is also the archeological museum where you can see the displays of Roman mosaics and statues, as well as other important findings.
The dominating Acrocorinth rock is a splendid sight. With it’s Byzantine fortress on top, the views from here are both magical and inspirational. The acropolis of Corinth stood here on top during the ancient and medieval times. The huge fortress shows signs of ancient Greek, Roman, Frankish and Turkish claims to it’s supremacy.
At the summit of the Acrocorinth, there are a number of temples and shrines. Slightly lower down is the Upper Peirene Spring, which legend tells us was named after a woman named Peirene, who was transformed into the spring by the tears that she had cried over the death of her son, who had been killed by Artemis.
Loutraki in Corinthia is a very popular destination for Greeks and visitors from abroad, and offers a wealth of facilities and natural spas. It is a very cosmopolitan area, and is home to the famous Loutraki casino, which many people visit.
Just beyond Loutraki, heading out to the west is Lake Vouliagmeni, which, via a narrow channel, joins the sea. Corinthia is also home to the Heraion near Perachora, a sanctuary dedicated to Hera that’s worth seeing.
Corinthia also offers visitors several other small towns which are worth visiting, such as Xylokastro, Perigiali, Vrahati and Assos. With several nice beaches, Corinthia area is a beautiful one to visit, and provides a warm welcome to the Peloponnese to those visitors arriving from Athens and mainland Greece.
More importantly, it is a nature lover’s paradise with lakes, springs, uninhabited islands and rolling hills – almost like a little country in itself. The town of Trikala in Corinthia (not to be confused with Trikala in Thessalia) is quite green and visitor friendly, even if eco-tourists can seek out even more remote locations such as Nemea, Goura, Sofiko, Feneos and some of the mountainous terrain. Mount Ziria (or Killini) has a modest ski resort and offers activities such as snow-shoeing in winter, while the village of Kastania at over 900 meters is also an interesting destination during both summer and winter. Noteworthy too is the Ziria Mountaineers’ hostel tucked away among the fir-tree slopes.
Ziria is a paradise full of robust fauna and flora, with many endemic plant species and rare animal species that make it particularly interesting for the nature-minded. The mountain, after all, is the second highest in the Peloponnese after Taygetus. About 113 plant types of the 1000 found on Ziria are endemic to the region. Its numerous hiking paths will let reveal the very rich biodiversity of the Mediterranean mountainside.
Cycling, hiking and multi-faceted historical ruins will render Corinthia interesting to visitors, so will the two gulfs it straddles (Gulf of Corinth and Saronic Gulf), both ideal for swimming.
The mountainous part of the prefecture is ideal for eco-tourism particularly around Stymphalia Lake and nearby springs. Doxa lake – an artificially created body of water – looks as natural as ever, surrounded by pine forests and hiking paths.
In another part of the prefecture you can find the road that takes to Hiliomodi, Lenia and Agionari, the latter with a medieval castle and a church that has amazing frescoes.