…Triumph of taste and aroma !!!
From the moment the ship enters the harbor, the island has already conquered you. The capital of the island is a blue – white town with a Venetian fortress, built with local dark stone. The fortress belonged to the Querini family, who remained the rulers of the island for about 300 years, before they lost the island to Barbarosa’s pirates.
The cylindrical windmills complete the harmonious picture. The island of Astypalaia is rich in historical heritage, monuments and natural beauty.
The eastern part of Astypalaia with the surrounding islets is a protected zone. Two grottos stand out with their natural architecture, stalactites and stalagmites.
Astypalaia has an airport that serves flights from Athens and Rhodes and is connected by sea with Piraeus, Rhodes and Cycladic islands.
What to do and see in Astypalaia – Tourist attractions
– One of the most beautiful churches of the Dodecanese islands, a well kept jewel, is Panagia Portaitisa church. Here are kept Byzantine icons with frames, decorated with gold, The island’s biggest celebration takes place at this religious center and cathedral of the island on Panagia’s feast (August 15th) and lasts for three days. Easter Sunday is the day of Love and Joy. After the morning service the day is devoted to the burning of Judas.
– The Astypalaia Archaeological Museum is housed in a ground-floor hall, which was granted to the Hellenic Ministry of Culture by the Ecclesiastical Charity Fund of Astypalaia. The exhibition contains finds that cover a wide chronological range, from the prehistoric period down to medieval times.
– The most beautiful beaches of the island are Mple Limanaki, Pera Gialos, Plakes and Kaminakia, covered with smooth multicolored pebbles. An ideal place for sea diving and sailing and by small boats you can get to the tranquil beaches of nearby islets.
– The island is known as a gastronomical paradise! Saffron, spices add a slightly more ‘eastern’ influence reflecting the various foreign occupation additions to the gastronomic panoply. Don’t miss the opportunity to taste the famous pasta with lobster, baked dishes with saffron, sweet cheese pies, local cheeses and butter.
– Here all Christian celebrations are held with violins and lutes, as well as any social events.
– Astypalaia festival (June – October) with concerts, with the participation of famous singers of Greek songs, attracts every year hundreds of visitors. It takes place on a beautiful square with a view on the sea.