Syros…the “sovereign” of Cyclades!!!
Traces of the Venetian aristocracy and Greek folk soul coexist harmoniously on the beautiful island, with the melody of “Sweet Frangosyriani“!
Syros…. the island has retained its classic face and the magnificence of its architecture, invites you to experience its charm!
Syros is the administrative center of all the islands of the Cyclades. Arriving at the port you will see many white houses clinging close to the hills of Ano Syros and Syros island’s capital.
The first residents, refugees from all over Greece, found after 1800 on the island created a trading bloc with a cosmopolitan aura.
In the large yard of Syros there was built the first ship and the first Greek steamship.
Here was in 1833 the first high school in Greece.
In Syros was founded the first hospital in Greece.
Sights to seeing:
– The imposing City Hall, the work of German architect Ziller.
– The Archaeological Museum
– The Historical Archive of the Cyclades, with records dating from 1821.
– The Public Library of Syros, with 35,000 books, many of which are rare.
– The Church of the Assumption, 1829, which hosts the famous icon of the Dormition of the Virgin, El Greco.
– The drama “Apollo” in 1864, designed by P. Sampo (the interior of a miniature of La Scala Opera House of Milan)
– The Cathedral of the Transfiguration,
– The imposing church of St Nicholas with the magnificent temple.
– The Cultural Center and the municipal library in the building of the club “Hellas.” In the garden there are the busts of eminent scholars who charted the path of Spiritual Island.
In the Ano of Syros
-The Saint George Cathedral
-The museum is dedicated to Marcus Vamvakari, the great composer of music Rebetika.
– Monasteries of the Jesuits and Capuchins from the 18th and 17th century, with a stunning view over the ocean.
The beach Azolimnos is the closest beach to Ermoupolis. Posidonia, also known as Delagratsia will amaze you with its aura of nobility as well as the coastal socialite Galissas and Vari with the Santorini beaches, Fabrica, Axladi and M. Gialos. In the southwestern coast, is the Finikas and cosmopolitan beach Kokkina. Golden sand and blue waters has the beach Agathopes (the most beautiful beach), also Ambela, Comito and Kivi.
You will find many hotels and apartments. There are good connections with many of the villages and beaches with the local buses, taxi and car rental agencies.
Drink your coffee at Miaoulis Square and leave the mind to look in the history, when walked here the elegant aristocratic ladies of Syros!
Taste ouzo the traditional Greek vodka and enjoy grilled octopus!
Taste also the local San Michael spicy cheese from fresh cow’s milk!
Do not hesitate to taste traditional marshmallows and famous chalvadopites which are made with thyme honey and freshly almonds.
How to get to Syros
Syros has no the airport it is one of the largest shipping hubs. There are daily itineraries from Piraeus. The island is connected with most of the Cyclades islands like Tinos, Mykonos, Naxos and the Dodecanese, Patmos, Leros, Kalymnos, Kos, Rhodes.