Room facilities:Air Condition, Bar, Gym, Mini bar, Restaurant, Room service, Telephone, TV
Welcome to Alsos House!!! The development of tourism in Kalampaka and the great energy and power of the Meteora arch, from a Feng shui point of view, created in their heart the “Alsos House”, located near the rock also called Alsos.
We are operating since 1985 under the direction of Mr. John Karakanta, as one of the first accommodations of this kind.
Alsos House is an A΄ Class (3′ Keys). Includes apartments / studios and rooms (Single-Double-Triple-Quadruple) capacity about 22 people. Alsos House is newly renovated and is ideal for families, groups and couples.
– TV – Satellite.
– WI-FI Internet
– 24 hour’s hot water
– Individual heating thermostats for each room.
– Yard – a playground.
– Rooms with balconies and views of Meteora.
Activities and Excursions
The lodging house is ideal for one day staying or more, for families or a group of friends. The lodgings have been renovated recently.
Walking in Meteora.
Alsos house is connected to the monasteries through a footpath, the only one from Kalampaka and connects the House-bottom with the top in an only 40 minute walk. The footpath ends to the entrance of Holy Trinity (Agia Triada) monastery and road that connects all the monasteries.
The Byzantine church of the 11th century, a very important monument is only at 200 metres from Alsos house at the feet of the rocks. We offer local guides for daily tours to the rocks and monasteries. We offer guides for small groups of hikers who want to know and walk the secret ancient monk paths and hermitages. The best Carnivals of Thessaly, with lots of shows and parades is organized every year the town hall administration.
Tours: in the cave of Theopetra, in Sarakina Bridge and the mountain range of Pindos and Agrafa destinations in the Lake Plastira, Elati, Pertouli Aspropotamos and Metsovo.
How to get:
In the town of Kalambaka and Meteora if you have not your own car you can come by train from Thessaloniki and Athens (journey time approximately 4 hours). You can also use the bus.
The Alsos House provides the best view of the rocks of Meteora from Kalambaka!
- Air Condition
The Meteora is one of the largest and most important complexes of Eastern Orthodox monasteries in Greece, second only to Mount Athos. The six monasteries are built on natural sandstone rock pillars, at the north-western edge of the Plain of Thessaly near the Pineios River and Pindus Mountains, in central Greece. The nearest town is Kalambaka. The Meteora is included on the UNESCO World Heritage List.
All of these monasteries are located at Meteora in Greece, and most are perched on high cliffs and accessible by staircases cut into the rock formations. They were created to serve monks and nuns following the teachings of the Greek Orthodox Church. Much of the architecture of these buildings is Athonite in origin. Of the six intact monasteries, the Holy Monastery of St. Stephen and Monastery Roussanou are inhabited by nuns
The Holy Monastery of Great Meteoron
This is the largest of the monasteries located at Metéora. It was erected in the mid-14th century AD and was the subject of restoration and embellishment projects in 1483 and 1552. The building serves as the main museum for tourists.The Katholikon (main church), consecrated in honour of the Transfiguration of Jesus was erected in the middle of 14th c. and 1387/88 and decorated in 1483 and 1552.
- The Holy Monastery of Rousanou/St. Barbarawas founded in the middle of 16th century AD and decorated in 1560.
- The Holy Monastery of St. Nicholas Anapausas, built in the 16th century AD, is a small church. It was decorated by the Cretan painter Theophanis Strelitzas, in 1527.
- The Holy Monastery of St. Stephenis a small church built in the 16th century and decorated in 1545. This monastery rests on the plain rather than on a cliff. It was damaged by the Nazis during WWII who believed it was harboring insurgents and was abandoned. Nuns took it over and reconstructed it.
- The Holy Monastery of Varlaam– The Holy Monastery of Varlaam is the second largest monastery in the Metéora complex. It was built in 1541 and embellished in 1548. A church, dedicated to All Saints, is in the Athonite type (cross-in-square with dome and choirs), with spacious esonarthex (lite) is surrounded by a dome. It was built in 1541/42 and decorated in 1548, while the esonarthex was decorated in 1566. The old refectory is used as a museum while north of the church is the parekklesion of the Three Bishops, built in 1627 and decorated in 1637
- The Monastery of the Holy Trinityis on top of the cliffs. It was built in 1475 and was remodeled many times in 1684, 1689, 1692, 1741